The Mysterious Beyond is a commonly recurring location in The Land Before Time. As the name implies, it is the land beyond the Great Valley that is shrouded in mystery. While it is certain there are many Leaf Eaters in the Mysterious Beyond, they are very rarely seen and Sharpteeth are extremely common.
Most of the Mysterious Beyond is dry with few plants, but more recently less barren areas have been seen, some just as fertile as the Great Valley itself. In most of the movies and many episodes of the TV series, Littlefoot and his friends have to travel through parts of the Mysterious Beyond to reach their goal. The Mysterious Beyond has been seen in every single film, and the only film the main characters did not leave the Great Valley was in The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses.
- 1 Areas
- 2 Sharpteeth in the Mysterious Beyond
- 3 Gallery
- Areas from first film: Likely not known as the Mysterious Beyond among residents of the valley, as most came from here. As shown in The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration, it was once fertile but the leaf famine reduced most of it to a wasteland. It is unknown if it has recovered.
- Skeleton Area: Seen in The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure and The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving. A vast area of skeletons and stagnant water, it contains the basins that water flowing towards the The Thundering Falls was trapped in. It is located on the other side of the Great Wall.
- Desert from IV: A desert littered with jutting rock formations. Beyond it is a lake with waterfalls pouring into it and a line of mountains filled with caves bordering the Land of Mists.
- Desert from V: A desert area that stretches from the Great Valley to the Big Water. The film states that locusts desolated the landscape, but this would mean there were never any trees as no woody remains were found.
- The Mysterious Island: An area far into The Mysterious Beyond. It is accessed by crossing the Big Water. It is a very heavily wooded area, with cliffs surrounding the island. It is home to Chomper, Chomper's mother and father, and the Plated Sharptooth.
- The Stinky Place: The Stinky Place is a small grove of smelly flowers. The gang hid here to stop their scent reaching Chomper's Parents,
- Abandoned area of the Great Valley in VI : A slightly dry area, with multiples canyons. There is also a forest with massive redwood trees where Saurus Rock happens to be located.
- Smoking Mountains: A group of volcanoes just outside the valley. The only known named one is Threehorn Peak.
- Desolate area: A wasteland similar to that of the original that appears in The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze, The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses, The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers, The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends and some episodes of the TV series. A Bigbiter Sharptooth, a duo of Fast Biters, a Sailback Sharptooth, and a pack of four Spinosaurid Sharpteeth inhabit this large area.
- Area from IX: A lush area with a river running through it from the Great Valley to the Big Water.
- Area from X: A varied area that is mainly fertile. It stretches from the Great Valley to the Longneck Crater.
- Area from XIII: Mostly comprised of plains, located beyond the desolate area. Leads to the mountains surrounding Berry Valley, where the Yellow Bellies lived.
- Jungle area: A lush forest just outside the valley. Appears in some episodes of the TV series.
- The Meadow of Jumping Waters: A small area far into the Mysterious Beyond, full of Geysers and Mud Pools, which give off a very bad smell. Shown in one TV Series Episode.
- Desert from XIV: A dry, sandy shrubland peppered with large, stone formations that stretches from the Great Valley to the Fire Mountain. The area resembles the deserts in the southwestern United States, and is occasionally hit with sandstorms. It is inhabited by a Horned Sharptoothand some Ornithomimid Leaf Eaters.
Sharpteeth in the Mysterious Beyond
- Tyrannosaurus: Red Claw
- Deinonychus: Screech and Thud, Fast Biters (The Stone of Cold Fire), Fast Biters (The Lonely Journey), Sharptooth Mom (The Great Egg Adventure)
Area from first film
The Mysterious Island
- Tyrannosaurus: Chomper, his father and mother.
- Indeterminate theropod, could be a Giganotosaurus: Plated Sharptooth (The Mysterious Island)
- Tyrannosaurus: Bigbiter Sharptooth (The Big Freeze), possibly Red Claw
- Deinonychus: Fast Biters (The Invasion of the Tinysauruses)
- Spinosaurus: Sailback Sharptooth
- Indeterminate theropods, could be Baryonyx: Sharpteeth (The Wisdom of Friends)
Abandoned area of the Great Valley in VI
- Allosaurus: Browridge Sharptooth (The Secret of Saurus Rock)
- Tyrannosaurus: Bigbiter Sharptooth (The Secret of Saurus Rock)
Area from IX
Area from X
Icky Gooey Place
- Sarcosuchus: Belly Dragger (The Great Longneck Migration)
- Tyrannosaurus: Grey member of the Sharptooth Pack (The Great Longneck Migration)