| "You are a Spiketail, so we will call you 'Spike'."
The subject(s) detailed in this article has/have been given a conjectural (and, as a result, unofficial) name, due to the lack of an official name for the article subject(s) to be referred to by.
Grandpa Longneck, as the apparent leader of the Elders, has many roles which include:
- Greeting visitors to the valley, which he is seen doing in The Land Before Time IV: Journey through the Mists when the migrating herd of Longnecks arrives and in The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock when Doc shows up and saves Littlefoot from falling off a cliff during a game.
- Passing judgement on criminals, which he is shown doing in The Land Before Time VII: The Stone of Cold Fire. He is the one who decides that Pterano shall, instead of his original punishment, be banished to the Mysterious Beyond for a reduced period of five cold times (or winters) on account that Pterano helped to save the children from the erupting volcano, Threehorn Peak, and to bring them back to the Valley.
- Deciding a course of action for the herds of the Valley; seen in The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island, when he points out the skeleton of a Saurolophus. He mentions that it was heading away from the direction the Great Valley residents are heading in after a swarm of Leaf Gobblers (locusts) devoured all the green food in the Great Valley. The Saurolophus, (or "duckbill", as referred to by the Land Before Time characters) starved to death, so Grandpa Longneck deduces that there is no food in the direction they're heading, and suggests that they alter course.
- Managing natural resources such as water; also seen in the fifth film.
- Providing for the common defense in times of danger. This is seen in The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure, and in The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving; both in which he fights (with help from a few other adults) against the sharptooth opponents.
- Mr. Thicknose could be an Elder because he is the eldest in the Valley and he also educates the young children of the Valley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.